1894 - ?

The foundation of the London College of Printing came about in 1883 via the establishment of the City of London Parochial Charities Act which aimed to offer improved supervision of charitable funds thus benefiting the inhabitants of these London city parishes by the development of learning and work prospects. This Act established the St. Bride Foundation Institute Printing School, which opened at the end of 1894. The same year saw the opening of a Guild and Technical School in Clerkenwell Road aimed at the enhancement of apprentice skills of journeymen engravers and lithographers. Around 1895 the establishment relocated to 6 Bolt Court, a small side street off Fleet Street, where it became known as the Bolt Court Technical School. It was later renamed the London County Council School of Photoengraving and Lithography. St Bride's came under the control of the London County Council in 1922 and was renamed the London School of Printing and Kindred Trades; in 1949 it was merged with the LCC School of Photoengraving and Lithography, forming the London School of Printing and Graphic Arts. In 1960 this was renamed the London College of Printing and in 1969 the printing department of the North Western Polytechnic was merged into the London College of Printing and on 1 January 1986, the London College of Printing merged along with Camberwell School of Arts & Crafts, the Central School of Arts and Crafts, Chelsea School of Art, the College for the Distributive Trades, the London College of Fashion and St Martin's School of Art to form the London Institute. In 2004 the London Institute was renamed University of the Arts London.