CENTRAL SCHOOL OF ARTS AND CRAFTS

1896 - ?

The Central School of Arts and Crafts was established by the London County Council in 1896. The first principal was the architect William Richard Lethaby until 1912 and was succeeded by Fred Burridge. The school was at first housed in Morley Hall and in 1908 it moved to purpose-built premises in Southampton Row, in the London Borough of Camden. In 1908 the Royal Female School of Art was merged into the school. In 1966 it was renamed the Central School of Art and Design and in 1986 became part of the London Institute and in 1989 merged with St Martin's School of Art to form Central Saint Martin's College of Arts and Design.