1881 - ?

Regent Street Polytechnic was previously known as the Royal Polytechnic, the Regent Street Polytechnic was founded in 1881 by Quintin Hogg and incorporated on its foundation the West London School of Art. It was originally known in full as the Polytechnic Young Men's Christian Institute, Regent Street. During its early days, many of the students were occupied in workshops during the day, attending the school in the evening to develop their knowledge of design. In 1970 it merged into the Polytechnic of Central London and again in 1992 it became part of the University of Westminster. Its art related alumni and teachers include Anthony Caro, Clifford Ellis, Arnold Auerbach, Norman Blamey, William Johnstone, Mark Gertler, Leon Underwood, Tom Titt, Harry Theaker and Harold Brownsword.