CHELSEA SCHOOL OF ART

1895 - ?

Chelsea School of Art was originally a faculty of the South-Western Polytechnic which opened in 1895 on Manresa Road and Chelsea Square, which was founded as the Chelsea Polytechnic in 1882. Its teaching staff have included artists and sculptors such as Henry Moore, Ceri Richards, Graham Sutherland and Howard Hodgkin and many of its former students have become distinguished artists such as Ossip Zadkine, Elisabeth Frink, John Latham, Edward Burra, Patrick Caulfield, Ethel Walker, Adrian Berg, Robert Clatworthy, John Berger and Paul Nash. The original curriculum during its preliminary period was largely vocational towards the commercial aspects of art, illustration, textiles, etching, lithography, and architecture. Under Principal Harold Sandys Williamson (29 August 18926 March 1978), a sculpture department was established during the 1930s and in the years after the Second World War a painting department. In 1986 the school became known as the Chelsea College of Art & Design and, together with the Central School of Arts and Crafts and St Martin's School of Art, formed part of the London Institute which in turn became known as the University of the Arts, London. In January 2005, Chelsea College of Art & Design relocated to Millbank, next to Tate Britain. Chelsea Art School was a different entity.