1898 - ?

Camberwell School of Arts & Crafts opened on the Peckham Road, Camberwell in 1898. under the aegis of the London County Council, offering day and evening instruction across a wide range of subjects from architecture, furniture design, life drawing and stained-glass work to dressmaking, pottery, and typography. In 1938 William Johnstone (1897-1981) was appointed principal and he soon established the reputation of the School as a fundamental influence on art development throughout the country when, after the end of the Second World War, he brought together many of the notable artists formerly associated with the Euston Road School who included William Menzies Coldstream, Lawrence Gowning, Victor Pasmore, Claude Rogers and William Townsend. The ethos of these artists was to last for a considerable time but like many other art establishments, the School saw its own decline into an adjunct of a polytechnic when by 1992 it had lost its irreplaceable Fine Art course which had established its reputation. It was amalgamated into the London Institute, which changed its name upon being awarded university status in 2004 as the University of the Arts, London. The University incorporates Camberwell School of Arts & Crafts, St Martin's School of Art, Chelsea School of Art, London College of Communication, London College of Fashion, and Wimbledon School of Art or their name successors.