SOUTH LONDON ART GALLERY

1891 - ?

SOUTH LONDON ART GALLERY

The origins of the South London Art Gallery can be traced back to 1868 when the local working menís college opened in nearby Blackfriars Road, the manager was William Rossiter who was instrumental in the purchasing of the freehold of Portland House located in Peckham Road in 1889 and installed himself in the property to begin work on building a new gallery in the grounds. The South London Art Gallery opened on 4 May 1891, showing a changing programme of fine and applied arts. A collection soon began from works donated by artists and subscribers to the Gallery. A Technical institute was built adjoining the gallery and would become known as Camberwell School of Arts & Crafts. The galleryís permanent collection houses more than five thousand paintings, prints and sculpture ranging from the 16th Century to the present day. 20th Century artists represented include, John Piper, Duncan Grant, Christopher Wood, Marc Camille Chaimowicz, Tracey Emin, Antony Gormley, Anish Kapoor, Sean Scully, Gavin Turk and Mark Wallinger. Over the years major retrospective exhibitions of related artists have been held at the gallery. These include William Coldstream, Anthony Eyton, Martin Bloch and Mario Dubsky. In October 2003 South London Art Gallery became an independent charitable which is now looked after by Southwark Culture and Heritage Services.