RUSHBURY, Sir Henry George

1889 - 1968

Henry Rushbury

Henry George Rushbury was born at 24 Greenfield Road, Harborne, Birmingham on 28 October 1889, son of George Norbury Rushbury (7 March 1853-1940), a warehouse clerk, and his wife Naomi, née Fennell (11 December 1853-1940), who married at Kings Norton, Worcestershire in 1883. From the age of thirteen, Harry studied on a scholarship under Robert Catterson Smith (1853-1938) at the Birmingham College of Art and then worked as an assistant to Henry Payne (1868-1939) until 1912, when he moved to London, where he shared lodgings with fellow Birmingham student Gerald Brockhurst (1890-1978). Rushbury was an official war artist during the First World War and took up etching and drypoint under the influence of Francis Dodd (1874-1949) before studying briefly under Henry Tonks (1852-1937) at the Slade School of Fine Art in 1921. Watercolour painter and etcher and a Member of New English Art Club 1917; the Royal Society of Painter Etchers and Engravers 1922 and the Royal Society of Painters in Water Colour 1922 and elected at Associate of the Royal Academy on 21 April 1927, a member on 11 February 1936 and a Senior on 31 December 1964 and was Keeper 22 April 1949-30 June 1964. He exhibited at the Royal Academy; Abbey Gallery; Agnew & Sons Gallery; Beaux Arts Gallery; Barbizon House; Brook Street Art Gallery; Connell & Sons Gallery; Colnaghi & Co. Galleries; Chenil Gallery; Fine Art Society; Grosvenor Gallery; Glasgow Institute of the Fine Arts; Goupil Gallery; Walker Art Gallery, Liverpool; Leicester Gallery; Manchester City Art Gallery; New English Art Club; Royal Hibernian Academy and the Royal Scottish Academy 1889-1968. He also exhibited at the Ipswich Fine Art Club in 1923, two dry point pictures 'Walls of Sienna' and 'The Fascisti'. In 1949 elected Keeper of the Royal Academy and Head of the Royal Academy Schools and knighted in 1964. He married at Chelsea in 1914, Florence Harriet née Layzell (10 October 1894-28 December 1981) and their daughter was artist Julia Rushbury. In 1939 Henry was living at Lower House Farm, Foxearth, Long Melford, Suffolk. Henry George Rushbury died at 6 St Martin's Lane, Lewes, Sussex on 5 July 1968. He signed his works 'Henry Rushbury'.

Royal Academy Exhibits
other exhibits
from Lower House, Stoke-by-Nayland, Suffolk
1933 746 Piazza da Spagna, Rome
945 York Minster
987 Custom House, London
1300 Debtorís Prison, York
1934 732 Malines
1238 City of Durham
1935 1038 Kingís Parade, Cambridge
1050 Ely Cathedral
1198 Peas Hill, Cambridge
         1210 Excavations: Bank of England
         1250 Rebuilding: Bank of England
         1296 Custom House, Kings Lynn
1939 706 Hyde Park Corner
         714 The Institute of Civil Engineers
         811 Constitution Hill, London
         826 Grimsby Docks
         894 Debtor's Prison, York
         970 From a Balcony, Hyde Park Corner
1940 757 Trafalgar Square
763 Richmond Market Place, Yorkshire
1171 The City Walls, York
1941 739 St Peterís, Rome
1942 380 Horse Guards Parade
446 The Guildhall, York
456 Paris
500 York Minster from Goodramgate
520 St Paulís from Paternoster Row
1943 516 Middleham Castle, Yorkshire
520 St Helenís Square, York
653 The Mansion House, York
674 Leyburn, Yorkshire
841 St Paulís, 1943
887 St Paulís from Cannon Street
1944 789 The Appian Way
824 A Yorkshire Glass Works 1944
923 Shipbuilding I
927 Shipbuilding II
948 The Royal Hospital, Chelsea
985 St Mary le Bow, 1944
1067 Bow Church from Bread Street
1945 837 Conisborough Castle
846 The Wear at Durham
963 Cumberland Landscape
         986 Cathedral and Castle, Durham
         991 Typhoon, evening
1000 Crummock Water, Cumberland
1171 St Martin in the Fields




Works by This Artist