1923 - ?

The Beaux Arts Gallery was opened in 1923 by Frederick Lessore, a portrait sculptor and brother-in-law of Walter Sickert. In January 1927, the Seven and Five Society of Artists held an exhibition there, and later that year Christopher Wood shared his first exhibition there with Ben Nicholson, which was followed by an exhibition of Barbara Hepworth's work in 1928 and the gallery became noted for its avant-garde shows. When Lessore died in 1951, the running of the gallery was taken over by his wife, the artist Helen Lessore and under her guidance and management, many of the progressive and controversial artists of the 1950s and 1960s exhibited there including Francis Bacon, Raymond Mason, Frank Auerbach, Euan Uglow, Craigie Aitchison, Michael Andrews and Leon Kossoff. The gallery which was in Bruton Place in the West End of London closed in 1965.