RUSSELL, Sir Walter Westley

1867 - 1949

Sir Walter Russell

Walter Westley Russell, was born at Forest Gate, Essex on 31 May 1867, third son of William Henry Russell, an artist & bookbinder, and his wife Charlotte Emily née Bradley (1838-1904), who married at Camberwell in 1862. In 1871, Walter was a 3 year old, living at Barrington Road, Holland Crescent, Lambeth, London with his parents, 35 year old William and 32 year old Charlotte with three siblings, William Richmond 7 and Edward Sidney 3, born at Camberwell and Emily Eliza Maria 2, born at Forest Gate. Walter studied at the Westminster School of Art under Frederick Brown (1851-1941), leaving about 1891 when he worked as an illustrator and etcher. Assistant Professor at the Slade School of Fine Art 1895–1927 but served in the Royal Engineers 1916–1919 working on camouflage. A painter of portraits, landscapes and interiors and began exhibiting at the New English Art Club in 1893 and became a member in 1895 and exhibited at the Royal Academy from 1898 and had a solo exhibition at Goupil Galleries in 1910. A member of the International Society from 1906, the National Portrait Society 1910, and the Royal Society of Painters in Water Colours from 1930. Elected an Associate of the Royal Academy on 22 April 1920, a Member on 23 February 1926 and a Senior on 1 January 1943, and was Keeper October 1927–Michaelmas 1942. A Trustee of the Tate Gallery 1927–1934 and 1938–1944. He lived in Chelsea but often worked in Yorkshire, Shoreham, Sussex and Blakeney, Norfolk visiting Venice in 1926 A Companion of the Royal Victorian Order in 1931 and knighted on 10 July 1935. As Capt W. Russell he exhibited at Ipswich from 'Upway', Hinksey Hill, Oxford, two watercolours 'Burford Bridge on Windrush' and 'Minster Lovel' and in 1923, a portrait of The Rt Rev The Lord Bishop of St Edmundsbury & Ipswich. He married at Putney, Surrey on 2 June 1900, Lydia Burton (28 December 1880-29 January 1944) and in 1939 they were living at 75 Old Fort Road, Shoreham-by-Sea, Sussex. He died at 4 Pembroke Road, Kensington, London on 16 April 1949. A memorial exhibition was held at the Beaux Arts Gallery in 1950.




Works by This Artist