1876 - ?

Westminster School of Art

The Westminster School of Art was located at 18 Tufton Street, Deans Yard, Westminster, and was part of the old Royal Architectural Museum. There was an Elementary Drawing School located in Westminster which started in 1852, this was a forerunner to Westminster School of Art which commenced taking in pupils in 1876 in premises on Tufton Street. In 1904 the art school merged with the Westminster Technical Institute and moved to Vincent Square, Westminster. Principals included William Mouat Loudan (1868-1925) 1904-1918, Walter John Bayes (1869-1956) 1918-1934, and Robert Kirkland Jamieson (1881-1950) in the 1930s. Well-known alumni and teachers include Henry Mayo Bateman (1887-1970), Aubrey Vincent Beardsley (1872-1898), Robert Polhill Bevan (1865-1925), David Garshen Bomberg (1890-1957), John Leith Craxton (1922-2009), Mark Gertler (1891-1939), John Morley, George Elmslie Owen, Frank Short, Walter Richard Sickert (1860-1942), Bernard Meninsky (1891-1950), Ethel Walker (1861-1951) and Duncan James Corrowr Grant (1885-1978). Suffolk artists students included Edith Helena Adie, Edward Ardizzone, Denise Broadley, Cecil Ross Burnett, Alan Francis Clutton-brock, Rosalie Eugenie De Meric,Muriel Olive Cecile Goulden, Alfred Hartley, Francis Edwin Hodge, Rose Mead, Jane Moncur, David Muirhead, Bernard Reynolds, Walter Westley Russell, Margaret Tempest, Allan Walton, and John Millar Watt. It was still open to students until the 1970s but has now closed.