INTERNATIONAL SOCIETY OF SCULPTORS PAINTERS and GRAVERS

1898 - 1926

International Society of Sculptors, Painters and Gravers was initially incorporated in 1898 as The Exhibition of International Art Ltd., but soon changed its name to the International Society of Sculptors, Painters and Gravers. One of its founders and first president was James McNeill Whistler and, on his death, the presidency was taken up by Auguste Rodin another founder member was Frederick Sandys. The Society was founded for the promotion of Exhibitions of International Art and to hold exhibitions of the finest art of the day at Prince's Skating Rink, Knightsbridge which was known as the International Gallery with the first exhibition being held at Prince's Skating Rink, Knightsbridge, London in 1898 but exhibitions were held in several London venues including the Grosvenor Gallery, and in other town in England, including Nottingham and Manchester. It came to be known simply as The International and the society organised exhibitions, some for members only and some open to others, and social events such as musical evenings and soirées. The last exhibition seems to have been the twenty-ninth held at the Royal Academy in 1925.