CONNELL & SONS GALLERY

? - ?

Connell & Sons Gallery at 47 Old Bond Street, London was founded around 1904 by James Hodge Connell (1833-1917), a picture dealer who was born at Paisley, Renfrewshire who had established a gallery in Glasgow around 1862. James Hodge retired in 1908, handing over the business to his three sons James David Connell (1863-1943), Thomas Connell (1864-1937), and David Connell (1870-), the partnership between father and sons was dissolved on 30 September 1909. The gallery seems to have concentrated in general on etchers and works on paper in general by artists who included Andrew Affleck, Eugene Bejot, D. Y. Cameron, Hester Frood, Gertrude Hayes, Henry Rushbury, Nathaniel Sparks, Alfred W. Strutt, Edward Millington Synge, William Walker, Ernest Herbert Whydale and Mary G.W.Wilson. The London gallery had an exhibition of the work of Peter Baxendale in 1933 but closed shortly afterwards, probably on the death in London of Thomas Connell in 1937, but the Glasgow gallery seems to have carried on until the early 1940s.