ROYAL HIBERNIAN ACADEMY
Royal Hibernian Academy, which included a National School of Art. was established by royal charter in Dublin in 1823 for the promotion of fine arts in Ireland and to provide a centre for the exhibition of work by Irish artists. In 1824 architect Francis Johnston was made president, he had provided headquarters for the RHA at Academy House in Lower Abbey Street at his own expense. Its first proposed exhibition in Abbey Street in November 1825 was postponed owing to the building work not being completed and it held its first exhibition at Abbey Street on 28 April 1826 from when they were held annually. During the Easter Rising of 1916, the Academy House and Exhibition Galleries, as was most of the RHA's collection were destroyed by fire, and it was not until 1939 that premises, a Victorian house, were acquired at 15 Ely Place, Dublin and in the 1970s the RHA constructed a new building in Ely Place. The Academy holds regular exhibitions and is responsible for many major retrospectives of the work of Irish artists. In 2009 the RHA re-established its school, the RHA drawing school at Ely Place where it has a large drawing studio and six studios which are available to artists through open submissions. Other studios are also administered by the school, such as the Tony O'Malley residency in Kilkenny. Since 2018 it has run TUD accredited courses in painting and drawing techniques delivered by a faculty made up of Academy members and other artists. The RHA is funded by the Arts Council of Ireland through revenue from its Annual Exhibition, and from benefactors, patrons, and friends of the Academy. Over fifty Suffolk artists exhibited at the Royal Hibernian Academy.
Website: https://rhagallery.ie
Works by This Artist
|
|