? - ?

St Albans School of Art opened in 1890 in a building at the top of Victoria Street, St Albans. The school adapted its curriculum to the innovations of the Bauhaus teaching model both in Art and Design in the 1960s. Legitimising art practices, the National Diploma in Art and Design allowed these fields to be brought at the same level as other academic fields. In the 1970s, St Albans School of Art subsequently developed a degree and a foundation course. The foundation degree was regarded as a strong feeder to the prestigious London schools such as Chelsea School of Art, Camberwell School of Arts & Crafts, Slade School of Fine Art, as well as regional city schools. The programme was supported by a strong team of practising artist tutors: Sculptor John Mills, Painters Arnold Van Praag and Roger Leworthy, Printmaker John Brunsden , Bill Pletts in Graphic Design, and Textile Designer Angela Dean. In 1873 the school moved to a purpose-built building on Hatfield Road and in the 1980s, the college introduced the first part-time Fine Art degree validated by the Council for National Academic Awards. Industrial Design and Model Making were added to the list of courses, and an annex was opened on London Road, and the B.A. in Fine Arts moved to Campbell Road Offices. In 1993 St Albans School of Art merged with Hatfield Polytechnic to become the Hertfordshire College of Art and Design and it is now known at the School of Creative Art.