TRUZZI-FRANCONI, Jane Elizabeth

1955 - 1993

As Jane Elizabeth Groombridge, she was born at Brixton, London on 26 July 1955, daughter of Peter Groombridge (27 May 1931-11 February 1985) and his wife Daisy Julia Mary née Bullen (28 May 1931-23 June 2015), who married in Surrey in 1952. Jane was educated at Sydenham School and studied as a sculptor at Ravensbourne College of Art and Design and at Goldsmiths' College, London 1973-1974, and sculptor Bernard Meadows (1915-2005) accepted her on the foundry course at the Royal College of Art and in 1978 became its first female student, and from where she won the Angeloni Prize. Jane married at Bromley, Kent in 1976, David William Truzzi-Franconi (born 1949) and worked under her married name. From the early 1980s, Jane spent much of her time in Suffolk where she established a foundry at Clock House, Bruisyard and a studio at 4 Wolsey Cottages, Strickland Manor Hill, Yoxford. Her work, sometimes using the lost-wax process, was notable for the tree and spiral forms, sculptures of bantams and peacocks, highly abstracted sea and fish forms in her later years. She died at 4 Wolsey Cottage, Strickland Manor Hill, Yoxford, Suffolk on 22 October 1993. A retrospective exhibition was held at The Wolsey Gallery, Christchurch, Ipswich in 1996 and another at Freedom Works, Yoxford in 2005.




Works by This Artist