ROYAL COLLEGE OF ART

1837 - ?

The Royal College of Art (RCA) was founded in Somerset House in 1837 as the Government School of Design or Metropolitan School of Design and Richard Burchett became head of the school in 1852. In 1853 it moved to Marlborough House, and then to South Kensington, on the same site as the South Kensington Museum. It was renamed the Normal Training School of Art in 1857 and in 1863 the National Art Training School. In the later part of the 1900s it was primarily a teacher training college. In September 1896, the school received a Royal charter as the Royal College of Art when the practice of art and design was encouraged. The school expanded in the 1960s when it received a royal charter as an independent university enabling it to grant its own degrees.