1891 - ?

In 1891, the Worshipful Company of Goldsmiths', one of the Livery Companies of the City of London, founded The Goldsmiths' Technical and Recreative Institute. The Livery Company, which was founded in the 12th century, dedicated its new Institute to 'the promotion of technical skill, knowledge, health and general well-being among men and women of the industrial, working and artisan classes'. The Institute was on the site of the former Royal Naval School, now known as the Richard Hoggart Building based in New Cross, London and remains the main building of the campus. In 1904, the institute was merged with the University of London and re-established as Goldsmiths' College when it was the largest teacher training institution in the country. During the Second World War it was evacuated to the University College, Nottingham, the London property was gutted by bombing in 1940 and was not fully repaired until 1947. In the 1960s, Goldsmiths experienced a rapid expansion in student numbers and began to establish a reputation in the arts as well as offering several new teacher training qualifications. The original buildings were enlarged, and the Lockwood Building, Whitehead Building, Education Building, Warmington Tower and St James's Hall were all built to accommodate new students. In 1988, Goldsmiths became a full College of the University of London and in 1990 received its Royal Charter. The original apostrophe was removed in 1993, and the word 'College' discontinued in 2006.