1965 - ?

Originally the Hampstead Central Library it was built by Arnold Tayler in 1897, it became a centre for the arts in 1965 as the Hampstead Arts Centre in West Hampstead and renamed Camden Arts Centre in 1967. It conducted community classes in painting, life drawing, pottery, printing, and basic design holding its first exhibition in 1966. The building’s integral qualities of simplicity, space and light were ideal for the showing of art and the first exhibition was held a year after the Centre was established. Since the sixties, the artistic and education programmes at Camden Art Centre have developed dramatically. Early on it became a space for international as well as local exhibitions, including several Arts Council England touring exhibitions and surveys. Following an extensive refurbishment Camden Arts Centre re-opened to the public in 2004. The beautiful and sympathetically designed building, which is in north-west London, incorporates the original Victorian gothic features with a contemporary design to increase space and light. Over the years the gallery has attracted artists of the highest calibre, able to display a broad range of work including installation, film and video, light sensitive drawings and sculpture.