1955 - 1993

Jane Truzzi-Franconi

As Jane Elizabeth Groombridge, she was born at Brixton, London on 26 July 1955, daughter of Peter Groombridge (27 May 1931-11 February 1985) and his wife Daisy Julia Mary née Bullen (28 May 1931-23 June 2015), who married in Surrey in 1952. Jane was educated at Sydenham School and studied as a sculptor at Ravensbourne School of Art and at Goldsmiths College, London 1973-1974, and sculptor Bernard Meadows (1915-2005) accepted her on the foundry course at the Royal College of Art and in 1978 became its first female student, and from where she won the Angeloni Prize. Jane married at Bromley, Kent in 1976, David Truzzi-Franconi and worked under her married name. From the early 1980s, Jane spent much of her time in Suffolk where she established a foundry at Clock House Studios, Bruisyard and a studio at 4 Wolsey Cottages, Strickland Manor Hill, Yoxford and was a member of the Suffolk Group of Artists. Her work, sometimes using the lost-wax process, was notable for the tree and spiral forms, sculptures of bantams and peacocks, highly abstracted sea and fish forms in her later years. She exhibited at the Royal Academy and elsewhere. Jane Truzzi-Franconi died at 4 Wolsey Cottage, Strickland Manor Hill, Yoxford, Suffolk on 22 October 1993, aged 38. A retrospective exhibition was held at The Wolsey Gallery, Christchurch, Ipswich in 1996 and another at Freedom Works, Yoxford in 2005. [Jane Truzzi-Franconi (1955-93): Retrospective (1996)].

Royal Academy Exhibits
from Clock House, Bruisyard, Suffolk
1985 1361 Seated Torso bronze
1986 203 Bantam Hen - bronze
from 98 Greenwich South Street, London SE 10
1989 1023 Scuttlefish - bronze

Works by This Artist