FRY GALLERY-ALDEBURGH

1972 - c.2002

Cyril Fry

The Fry Gallery was opened by Cyril Fry Cyril Fry (1918–2010) and his wife Shirley, originally located in Jermyn Street (1967–1986) but also operating during the music festivals in Aldeburgh, Suffolk from 1972. When the Jermyn Street lease ended, the Frys transferred their operation to 44 High Street, Aldeburgh, where they had held summer shows to coincide with the Aldeburgh Festival, while still putting on occasional exhibitions in hired spaces in London, the Aldeburgh gallery was also known as Gallery 44 . They specialised in collecting and dealing in eighteenth and nineteenth-century British watercolours and drawings, including works by Gainsborough, Peter De Wint, Turner, and William Henry Hunt. Two of the gallery’s greatest advocates were Leonard Gordon Duke and Paul Mellon and John Nixon (c. 1750-1818), whose work was the subject of the Fry’s last major exhibition in Aldeburgh at the time of the Festival in June 1999 and it closed around 2002. It is not connected to the Fry Gallery at Saffron Walden, Essex. Cyril Fry, art dealer, was born in London on 27 May 1918 and he married in 1948, Shirley Bartrum and they had three sons, one daughter, he died Snape, Suffolk on 10 November 2010.The Paul Mellon Centre at Yale University has nine boxes of files on the Landon and Aldeburgh galleries.