HARRAP, Phyllis Marjorie

1906 - 1989

As Phyllis Marjorie Burrows, she was born at Southend-on-Sea, Essex on 10 March 1906, eldest child of (1 March 1879-26 August 1940), newspaper proprietor, and his wife Nellie Frances née Comber (1880-24 March 1936), elder daughter of Walter Comber of Southend, who married at Avenue Baptist Church, Southend, Essex on 25 August 1904. In 1911, Phyllis was a 5-year-old, living at 16 Warrior Square, Southend with her parents, 32-year-old John and 31-year-old Nellie and her 2-year-old sibling John Henry and in 1921 was still living at the same address with the addition of an 8-year-old sister Mary Frances. Phyllis married at St Mary's Church, Prittlewell, Essex on 4 June 1932, Heath Stanley Harrap (17 March 1908-5 April 1989), a master printer, and in 1939 they were living at 3 Meadway, Westcliff-on-sea with their children. A book illustrator of Anthony Trollope's 'The Warden' (1949) and in 1946 painted an oil of the Cupola House, Bury St Edmundís. She exhibited at Norwich in 1951 and in 1952 at the Phoenix Art Gallery, Lavenham 'The Lost Theatre, Bury St Edmund's and in 1954 at the Bury St Edmund's Art Society at the School of Art Building her oil 'The Far Hall'. Her husband died at Upland House, 7 Roxwell Road, Chelmsford on 5 April 1989 and Phyllis Marjorie Harrap died six months later at Chelmsford Nursing Home, East Hanningfield Road, Sandon, Chelmsford on 6 October 1989.




Works by This Artist