PHOENIX ART GALLERY

c.1953 - ?

Robin McCausland-White

The Phoenix Gallery was opened at 97 High Street, Lavenham, Suffolk about 1953 by Ronald McCausland-White (1908-1980) and held many substantial and important exhibitions. In 1977 the gallery was purchased by Noel Oddy (1927-2011). Oddy's passion for art turned the Phoenix Gallery into a highly acclaimed gallery that occupied the forefront of the East Anglian art world for the next 15 years. Several of the artists he promoted, such as Charles Cundall, John Bratby, Lawrence Gowing, Edward Middleditch, Roger de Grey and Frederick Gore, were eminent Royal Academicians of their day. Others nonetheless worthy artists included Hugh Cronyn, Flavia Irwin, Bridget McCrum, Claude Harrison, Robin Mackertich, Karen Ray and Stuart Ray. About 1988 Oddy opened in Highgate, North London, Highgate Fine Art.