SINCLAIR, Wendy

1932 - ?

As Dorothy Wendy Besley, she was born in the Weymouth district of Dorset in 1932, daughter of Kenneth Besley and his wife Rosamund née Bishop, who married at Wareham, Dorset in 1931. Wendy, as she was known, studied at Wimbledon School of Art obtaining her N.D.D. in sculpture in 1958, gaining her diploma in etching and sculpture at the Slade School of Fine Art. Although trained as a sculptor and still does some carved lettering commissions, but concentrates on painting growing plants using oil, watercolour and pastel also producing prints by etching on copper plates. Wendy met her future husband Chris Sinclair [q.v.] at Wimbledon School of Art and they married at Halesworth, Suffolk in 1956 and in 1960 moved to the nearby village of Walberswick. In 1972, Wendy and her husband, commenced exhibiting in a friend's house opposite the Moot Hall in Aldeburgh which was followed by the Assembly Rooms in Norwich and then at 'Mary's' restaurant in Walberswick. When the Aldeburgh venue became unavailable, they rented 'The Studio' by the river at Walberswick and mounted an annual June show there for about 20 years. A founder member of The Suffolk Group in 1990 and continued to show in the Southwold Art Circle exhibitions. Wendy donated to the Westhall Secret Postcard Auction from Church Lane, Walberswick in 2013, a watercolour 'Pansies in a Border'.





Works by This Artist