1893 - 1972

Lucy Harwood

Eva Lucy Harwood, but known as Lucy, was born at Belstead Hall, near Ipswich on 1 January 1893, only daughter of the two children of Alfred Harwood (19 May 1855-13 January 1940), landowner & farmer, and his wife Edith Eva née Cooper (1863-22 March 1935), who married at St George's Hanover Square, London on 15 August 1891. Shortly after her birth, the family moved to Ackworth House, East Bergholt, Suffolk and in 1911 Lucy was a 17 year old student, living at 'Ackworth' East Bergholt with her parents, 55 year old Alfred and 47 year old Edith, with her 18 year old brother Alfred Henry Fairfax Harwood (1892-1973). Lucy attended the Slade School of Fine Art prior to the First World War and at the East Anglian School of Painting and Drawing at Dedham, Essex, when it was opened by Cedric Morris in 1937. In 1939, unmarried, living at her home Ackworth House, East Bergholt, Suffolk with her incapacitated father and, on his death the following year, she moved to be near the East Anglian School of Painting on its relocated to Benton End, Hadleigh, Suffolk. Owing to a botched operation when she was young, Lucy was left partially paralysed on her right side, and her pictures, painted with her left hand, are spontaneous and colourful still life and landscapes of around her new house at Upper Layham, near Hadleigh. She exhibited two works at the Ipswich Art Club in 1941, 'At Flatford' and 'Old Barn near Hadleigh' and in 1942, 'Beehive and Trees'. She was also a member and exhibitor at the Norfolk & Norwich Art Cicle 1946-1948 from Upper Layham and her first solo exhibition was at The Minories, Colchester in 1975 and she had further shows at Sally Hunter Fine Art and at the Phoenix Gallery in Lavenham, Suffolk. She died at Kiln House, Upper Layham, Hadleigh, Suffolk on 24 October 1972, she was unmarried.

Works by This Artist