EDWARDS, Laurence Thomas

1967 - ?

Laurence Edwards

Laurence Thomas Edwards, was born on the Suffolk/Essex border in July 1967, son of Alan G. Edwards and his wife Ilse A. née Prior, who married at Colchester, Essex in 1964. Educated at Lowestoft College 1983-1984, proceeding to Canterbury College of Art, Kent, 1985-1988 gaining a B.A. in Sculpture, his tutors included Sir Anthony Arthur Caro (1924-2013), before taking postgraduate studies in bronze casting and sculpture at the Royal College of Art, London 1988-1990, with Philip King (born 1934), Professor of Sculpture and Sir Eduardo Paolozzi (1924-2005) also studying casting with Sri Lankan Master Founder, Tissa Ranasinghe (born 1925). Among his many earlier prizes and honours was a travel grant to India, where he studied traditional casting techniques and later combined this training in traditional methods with state-of-the-art casting techniques to produce his distinctive bronze figures, which appear both mythic and contemporary. In 1990 Edwards established his first foundry and studio at Clock House Bruisyard, Suffolk which in 1992 he moves to Yew Tree Farm, Laxfield in Suffolk where he built his bronze foundry and established Yew Tree Farm Studios artistic community. In 2002 he sets up Gallery 26, a small experimental exhibition space at Orford, Suffolk and the following year moves his studio to Butley Mills creating a larger foundry and more complex studios on the edge of the beautiful Butley Creek at Orford and, with its habitat, landscape and histories developed into the main resource for his work. His work attempts to do justice to the locality and its history, by peopling it with large figures that have survived the ravages of the water and the elements. Laurence had solo exhibitions at Chappel Galleries in Essex 1998 and John Russell Gallery in Ipswich 2000. In 2009 elected associate member Royal Society of British Sculptors and a Fellow in 2012. In 2011 he purchases new studios in a former fire station at Saxmundham and sets up large modelling, drawing and painting studios and in 2016 opens a new studio and large scale foundry in Halesworth, both in Suffolk. The author of 'The Creek Men-A Journey' (2009) and is married in 1997, artist Johanne Humprhies [q.v.] and lived at 26 High Street, Yoxford, Suffolk.




Works by This Artist