1923 - ?

The Beaux Arts Gallery in Bruton Place in the West End of London was opened in 1923 by Frederick Lessore (1879-1951), a portrait sculptor and brother-in-law of Walter Sickert (1860-1942). In January 1927, the Seven and Five Society of Artists held an exhibition there, and later that year John Christopher Wood (1901-1930) shared his first exhibition there with Ben Nicholson (1894-1982), which was followed by an exhibition of the work of Jocelyn Barbara Hepworth (1903-1975) in 1928 and the gallery became noted for its avant-garde shows. From the death of Frederick Lessore in 1951, the gallery was run by his wife, the artist Helen Lessore (1907-1994) and under her management, many progressive and controversial artists of the 1950s and 1960s exhibited there including Francis Bacon (1909-1992), Raymond Greig Mason (1922-2010), Frank Helmuth Auerbach (1931-), Euan Ernest Richard Uglow (1932-2000), Ronald John Craigie Aitchison (1926-2009), Michael James Andrews (1928-1995) and Leon Kossoff (1926-2019). The gallery closed in 1965. Suffolk artists who exhibited at Beaux Arts Gallery include Winifred Austen, Harry Becker, Jeffery Camp, John Arthur Dodgson, Reginald Grenville Eves, Cecil Arthur Hunt, Ethel Alice Kirkpatrick, Anthony Levett-Prinsep, Sidney Dennant Moss, David Muirhead, Malcolm Osborne, Ivor Roberts-Jones, Henry George Rushbury, Christine Saumarez, Veronica Saumarez, Peggy Somerville, Allan Walton and Dennis Wirth-Miller.