1873 - ?

Stafford School of Art, The Oval, Lichfield Road, Stafford. The first art classes in Stafford were held in an upstairs room at the Borough Hall in 1873. The School of Art joined the County Technical School in 1896 in the Earl Street building which later became the County Education Offices. Short of space, in 1963 the Stafford College of Art and Crafts, as it was then known, eventually moved into the Girls’ High School building at The Oval. After another name change, in 1971 Stafford School of Art and Design merged with Stafford College of Further Education, the art school becoming a department of the college.