DAVY, Frederick

1832 - 1890

Frederick Davy, was born at Southwold, Suffolk on 26 April 1832, second son of Henry Davy [q.v.] and his wife Sarah née Bardwell. In 1851, an ‘artist pupil’ living with his father in Globe Lane (now St George’s Street), Ipswich and in 1865 an artist at 40 St Nicholas Street but by 1869 had moved to 12 Wolsey Street, Ipswich where in 1871, a ‘photo artist’ with his sister Clara (1839-1889), as housekeeper and his brother 25 year old Edward. In 1881, living at 21 Burrell Road, Ipswich with his brother’s Edward's family, Edward was a merchant’s clerk, and his wife Elizabeth and their 1 year old daughter Gertrude Elizabeth. Frederick studied at the Ipswich School of Science & Art and passed his examinations as an Art Master in 1877 and in Advanced Painting in 1880. In 1881, Frederick exhibited at the Ipswich Fine Art Club from 21 Burrell Road, two oils ‘St Stephens Church’ and 'Portrait of a Lady' and two watercolours 'View of Holy Wells' and 'Laying the Foundation Stone of the New Corn Exchange, Ipswich'. In 1882, he exhibited from 25 Durham Street, Upper Kennington Lane, London, a watercolour 'Gamekeepers Cottage, Gainsboroughs Lane'. For many years Henry was an assistant art master at Ipswich School of Art then at the Training School of Art at South Kensington followed in January 1883 as Master of the School of Art at Stafford. He then took a position as an art teacher at Chesterfield Art School and on 28 October 1890 as art teacher of Wrexham Science and Art Classes, but after six weeks at Wrexham was 'found dead in bed' at his lodgings at 15 Stanley Street, High Town, Wrexham on 9 December 1890, he was unmarried. His oil 'Laying the Foundation Stone of Ipswich Corn Exchange' was lent by Barclays Bank Ltd for the centenary exhibition of the Ipswich Art Club in 1974.




Works by This Artist