PACKARD, Sir Edward

1843 - 1932

Sir Edward Packard

Edward Packard, was born at Saxmundham, Suffolk on 28 September 1843, son of Edward Packard (5 January 1819-27 October 1899) and his first wife Mary née Woods (1818-12 June 1865), who married at Kelsale, Suffolk on 11 January 1842, young Edward was known as Edward Packard, jun. until the death of his father at Smallburgh, Norfolk in 1899. Edward was educated at Bury St Edmund’s grammar school and in 1859 admitted to King’s College, London where he studied chemistry and engineering, in 1861 he proceeded to the Royal College of Agriculture at Cirencester and, together with brother Henry, went on a ‘grand tour’ of the continent. About 1863 he entered the family firm of Edward Packard and, with the retirement of his father in 1886, the business was carried on by sons, Edward and Henry Woods (1845–23 May 1912), trading as Edward Packard & Co. Edward married at St Mary Elms Church, Ipswich on 23 May 1867, Ellen Turner (4 February 1847-21 April 1927), eldest daughter of Walton Turner, leather manufacturer of Ipswich and they had four sons and six daughters surviving of 12 children, and lived at Grove House, Bramford, near Ipswich for sixty–five years. In 1881, Edward was a 37 year old chemical manufacturer, employing 320 hands, of Grove House, Bramford with 34 year old wife Ellen and children Katherine Mary 11 [q.v.], Winifred 9 [q.v.], Edith Celia 8 [q.v.], Reginald 5, Nina 4, Phyllis Margaret 2, Harold Turner 1 and twins Ellen Sylvia [q.v.] and Walter Gerald Turner 2 months, all born at Bramford and they kept five servants. Packard's also had a printing ink factory at Duke Street, Ipswich 1892–1912 but in 1916 Packard's are not listed under ink manufacturers but still in the agricultural chemical industry. In 1895, a limited company was formed with Edward as chairman, a position he held until 1929, when the company merged as Fison, Packard & Prentice Ltd when 86 year old Edward retired. The company eventually became Fisons Fertilizers Plc.. Edward’s greatest love was art and painting and a founder member of the Ipswich Fine Art Club in 1874, and was its first Hon. Sec. and was a major supporter and president of the Art Club until his death. He exhibited 1882-1898, from Bramford in 1882, a watercolour 'Derwentwater', in 1883 two watercolours 'Near Priory Farm' and 'Near Bonchurch, I of W', in 1884 'In Winter Time' and in 1898 exhibited 'An October Evening' but his most famous exhibit was in 1902 with 'Battle of St Vincent' which is now owned by Colchester & Ipswich Museums and is on show at Christchurch Mansion in Ipswich. At the Ipswich Art Club centenary in 1974 his watercolour 'Gipping Barge at Bramford Lock' was on show. In 1889 he also exhibited at the Woodbridge Fine Art Exhibition at the Assembly Room, Bull Hotel, Woodbridge several watercolours also exhibiting at the Dudley Gallery in 1880. In 1922, his services to the Conservative Party were recognised when he was knighted. He died at The Grove, Bramford on the 11 April 1932. He signed his works 'E. P' or 'E. Parkard'. (Copsey - Ipswich Book Trades. 2011)




Works by This Artist