SOUTHAMPTON COLLEGE OF ART

1855 - ?

Southampton Solent University

The Southampton College of Art was founded in 1855, its early pupils included Hubert von Herkomer (18491914) and Edward John Gregory (1851-1909) both of whom became Royal Academicians. Other alumni include Graham Ovenden (1943-), Dennis William Dring (1904-1990) and Frederick Golden Short (1863-1936). In 1925 the school was taken over by the local education authority, and in 1939 it moved into new premises next to the Art Gallery in the newly built Civic Centre and renamed the College of Art. In November 1940, the Civic Centre art block was severely damaged in an air raid and thirty-seven occupants were killed, including fifteen art school students and three members of staff. The school moved to Winchester School of Art for the remainder of the war. In 1945 the college returned to Southampton, initially at the Deanery School in Marsh Lane and in 1973 new premises were built on East Park Terrace next to the Technical College. In 1978 the College of Art and College of Technology merged to form Southampton College of Higher Education and in 1984 the School of Navigation joined the College of Higher Education and was renamed Southampton Institute of Higher Education. In 2005 Southampton Institute became Southampton Solent University.
Website: https://www.solent.ac.uk