CENTRAL SCHOOL OF ARTS AND CRAFTS

1896 - ?

Central St Martins School of Art

The Central School of Arts and Crafts was established in 1896 by the London County Council. The first co-principals from 1896 were George James Frampton (1860-1928) and architect William Richard Lethaby (18571931) and from 1900 Lethaby was sole principal until 1912 being succeeded by Frederick Vango Burridge (1869-1945). The school was at first at Morley Hall which was rented from Regent Street Polytechnic but in 1908 it moved to purpose-built premises in Southampton Row, in Camden and in the same year the Royal Female School of Art, which had been established in 1842, was merged into the school. In 1966, the Central School of Arts and Crafts was renamed the Central School of Art and Design and in 1896 became part of the London Institute and in 1989 merged with St Martin's School of Art to form Central Saint Martins College of Arts and Design. It now forms part of the University of the Arts

The Lethaby Gallery at 1 Granary Square, King's Cross, London, highlights the work of staff, students, and alumni from Central Saint Martins. Through exhibitions, events, workshops, and community engagement programmes, the Lethaby acts as a site of experimentation for emerging creative talent.




Works by This Artist