TAYLOR, Charles William

1878 - 1960

Chanctonbury Ring and Wiston Lake

Charles William Taylor, was born at 23 North Road, Wolverhampton, Staffordshire on 29 April 1878, youngest child of Thomas Taylor (1839-), a brewer, and his wife Mary Ann née Hearn (1838-), who married at Brackley, Northamptonshire in 1860. Charles first studied art at Wolverhampton School of Art and in 1901, was a 22 year old wood engraver, living at 208 New Hampton Road, Wolverhampton with his parents, 60 year old Thomas and 60[sic] year old Mary Ann, with three siblings, Mary 34, Minnie 28 and John Percy 24. As a mature student, Charles continued his studies at the Royal College of Art in the 1920s and he taught at the School of Art in Southend, Essex living at 72 Ramuz Drive, Westcliff-on-Sea from where he exhibited in 1912. A wood and copper plate engraver, watercolour painter and teacher, an associate of the Royal Society of Painters and Etchers in 1922 and full membership in 1930 where he exhibited on 58 occasions also exhibiting 36 pictures at the Royal Academy, 15 at the Royal Hibernian Academy, once at the Royal Institute of Watercolour Painters, and twice at The Royal Scottish Academy and at many other venues including in 1923 at the Ipswich Fine Art Club, three wood engravings 'Leigh, Essex', 'Boat Builder's Shop, Leigh' and 'Stanbridge Mill, Essex'. He married at Wolverhampton in 1902, Maud Lillian Parr (18 April 1880-1960) and in 1939, a retired art master, living at The Retreat, Steep Lane, Findon, Worthing, Sussex with his wife Maud. His wife Maud died at The Retreat, Steep Hill, Finden near Worthing on 28 February 1960 and Charles died at Sandena Nursing Home, Steep Hill, Finden a few days later, on 2 March 1960. He signed his works 'C. W. Taylor'.




Works by This Artist