MEDICI GALLERY

? - ?

The Medici Society was founded in 1908 by Philip Lee Warner and Eustace Gurney and the company's original aim was to bring artists' work to the appreciation of a wider public through technically innovative high end colour reproductions, with subjects chosen for their artistic value, beauty or sentiment sold 'for the lowest price commercially possible'. The name Medici was chosen as an homage to the great Florentine family who did so much to encourage art in the Italian Renaissance. The profile of Lorenzo de' Medici (1449-1492), known as Lorenzo the Magnificent, was incorporated into the Society's trademark. In 2008 the company sold its greeting card division to the Great British Card Company which now publishes greeting cards using the name ‘Medici’ under licence as Medici Cards. However, the Medici Society Ltd continues to publish its Fine Art Reproduction Prints and to licence out permissions to reproduce its extensive archive of imagery through Mary Evans Picture Library. It also continues to retail cards and prints at the Medici Gallery in South Kensington and to sell original Fine Art at the Medici Gallery at Cork Street, London.
Website: http://www.medicigallery.co.uk