BROOK GREEN SCHOOL OF ART

1921 - ?

In May 1919 Leon Underwood (18901975) purchased a studio at 12 Girdlers Road, Hammersmith and Underwood's Brook Green School of Art was formally established at his Girdlers Road studio in 1921. But it really came into its own on his resignation from the RCA in 1923, when Henry Moore and others persuaded him to carry on giving them life-drawing lessons in the evenings. The small and select roster of artists who were to become students of the Brook Green School of Art included Blair Hughes-Stanton, Gertrude Hermes, Nora Unwin, Mary Groom, Vivian Pitchforth, Raymond Coxon, Eileen Agar and Henry Moore. By 1923 he had installed an etching press and embarked on two years of constant activity in printmaking as well as his normal subjects. The School closed in 1938.