MARSTON, Reginald St Clair

1886 - 1943

Reginald St Clair Marston, was born at Willenhall, near Wolverhampton on 15 January 1886, son of Edmund Dunton Marston (1847-9 March 1926), a door bolt maker, and his wife Charlotte née Shepherd (1845-1920), who married at Short Heath Holy Trinity church on 12 December 1864. In 1891, a 5 year old, living at Wednesfield Road, Wolverhampton with his parents, 44 year old Edmund, now a relieving officer, and 45 year old Charlotte and by 1901 they had moved to Union offices, St Peter's Close, Wolverhampton but Reginald had departed by 1911. Known as St Clair Marston, a painter and occasional etcher, who worked mainly in oils and was noted for his serene landscape paintings. He exhibited at the Ipswich Fine Art Club in 1923, 'Santa Maria, Degli Angeli, below Assisi' he also exhibited at the Royal Academy in 1924 'Above an Old Chalk Pit, Sussex' also at the Royal Society of British Artists; Fine Art Society; Whitworth Gallery, Manchester; Towner Gallery, Eastbourne; Wolverhampton Art Gallery; Salisbury Gallery, Rhodesia and elsewhere. He married at Florence, Italy in 1922, Ellen Freda Clulow and in 1939, a landscape artist, living at Little Garth, Dedham, Essex with his wife Ellen Freda (24 October 1895-27 March 1949), also a 'landscape painter & etcher'. He was of The Hill, Langport, Somerset when he died at St Mary's Hospital, Paddington, London on 26 February 1943. His wife, who died on 27 March 1949, left half of the residue of her estate to the National Trust to be called the 'St Clare Marston Fund'. He signed his works 'St Clare Marston'.




Works by This Artist