SOUTER, John [Jack] Bulloch

1890 - 1972

Jack Souter

John Bulloch Souter, was born at Aberdeen on 4 June 1890, youngest the seven children of Alexander Souter, a clothier, and his wife Elsie née Cruikshank, who was an accomplished artist and encouraged Jack's artistic talent. In 1891, a newly born, living at Fonthill Terrace, Old Machar, Aberdeen with his parents, 44 year old Alexander and 40 year old Elsie, with six siblings, Alexander 17, George 15, William 11, Annie 8, Elsie 6 and Radford 3. Known as Jack to his family and friends, he first attended Ferryhill School in Aberdeen progressing to Robert Gordon’s College-Gray’s School of Art, at that time in Schoolhill. There he excelled in painting, drawing and sculpture and on graduating was awarded the Allan Fraser Scholarship for a period of four years at Hospitalfield Art College in Arbroath. In 1912, on the recommendation of Sir George Clausen [q.v.], Souter was awarded the Byrne Travelling Scholarship by the Scottish Education Department. Armed with this £120 stipend and an excellent working knowledge of Spanish and French, he travelled to Madrid in May of that year in order to study the works of the Spanish masters in the Prado Art Gallery and Museum and the monetary awards Souter had received from the Colonel Innes Prize for Sculpture and the Robert Brough Travelling Scholarship, enabling him to extend his time in Spain and Europe. He served in the Gordon Highlanders during the Great War and later served in the Royal Army Medical Corps. After the war, Souter’s commissioned portraits, including the Countess of Cranbrook, became an important source of income. He married at St Paul's Hammersmith, London in February 1926, a Scottish girl, Christian Mary Bella Gordon Reid (born 4 October 1892). A portrait and landscape painter in oils and although not strictly a Suffolk painter, Souter spent some time in Suffolk, using as his studio a barn at Higham owned by Douglas Doyle Jones [q.v.] and a dated portrait by Souter of the owner’s mother, shows the artist was in the county in 1936 and he sketched his Suffolk studio the year before. In 1939, a portrait painter, living at Valley Farm Cottage, Higham, Suffolk with his wife Christian. He exhibited at Redfern Gallery; the Fine Art Society; Royal Scottish Academy and the Royal Academy 1914-1952 and where his notorious painting 'The Breakdown' was shown in 1926. During World War II he worked in the Post Office Censorship Department as a translator whilst also restoring paintings at Windsor Castle. He returned to Aberdeen in 1952, when they inherited “Kinnoull”, 19 Anderson Drive from his sister, Anne. where he remained until his death in 1972.




Works by This Artist