REDFERN GALLERY

1923 - ?

Redfern Gallery

The Redfern Gallery was founded in September 1923 and was originally at Redfern House, Bond Street, the gallery moved to its current premises, Cork Street in 1936. The founders were two wealthy individuals Arthur Knyvett-Lee and Anthony Maxtone Graham and a young New Zealander, Rex Nan Kivell, (18981977) joined the gallery in 1925 and in 1931 took control of the company. His association with the Redfern Gallery was maintained in a partnership with Australian-born Harry Tatlock Miller, (1913-1989) which continued until his death. Within its first year of operating, the Redfern was the first gallery to display the carvings of Henry Moore and Barbara Hepworth and promoted contemporary art, assisting several British artists who became major figures. Nan Kivell helped to bring to England the work of important European painters and he encouraged some young Australian artists to show in England such as Sidney Nolan. In 1936 the gallery moved to its current gallery in Cork Street, London. For several years Erica Brausen, later of the Hanover Gallery, Peter Cochrane, later of Arthur Tooth Gallery, and Richard Smart were associated with the gallery. Prominent British artists, such as Alan Reynolds, whose work was first shown as early as 1952, have been exhibiting there on a regular basis for many years. The Redfern Gallery continues to promote the best of modern British art having recently supported the critically acclaimed museum retrospectives of William Gear, Paul Feiler, Margaret Mellis, David Tindle and most recently, Eileen Agar and marked its 100-year anniversary with a series of special exhibitions. Today the Redfern is one of the longest-established dealers of Modern British and Contemporary art in London and represents over twenty contemporary artists and artist's estates. It also has an extensive stock of modern and contemporary paintings, drawings, watercolours, sculpture, and original prints.
Website: https://www.redfern-gallery.com