GRAY'S SCHOOL OF ART

1885 - ?

Gray's School of Art

Gray's was founded in 1885 as Gray's School of Science and Art, in recognition of the generosity of its founding father, John Gray (18111891), a local businessman and philanthropist who offered to finance a new school of science and art in Aberdeen, on the condition that the governors named it Gray's School of Science and Art. The school opened in 1885 with ninety-six students for the day classes and 322 for the evening classes. It was situated in an impressive building at Schoolhill in the city centre, next to the Aberdeen Art Gallery. By the 1960s the School had outgrown the building and moved to a new building at Garthdee, next to the Scott Sutherland School of Architecture in Aberdeen, Scotland.