OLLERENSHAW, Neville Finnemore

1922 - 1997

Neville Ollerenshaw

Neville Finnemore Ollerenshaw was born at Hampstead, London on 11 July 1922, son of Frank Ollerenshaw (17 January 1889-1 November 1975), barrister-at-law, and his first wife Norah Clementina née Finnemore (7 December 1896-1958), who was born at Natal, South Africa and married at Kensington in May 1915. In 1921 they were living at 15 Belsize Park, Hampstead, London but they had divorced by 1930 when Frank married secondly at St Martin, London in 1930, Lilian Angela Moore (10 August 1902-10 January 1997), and in 1939 Frank, Lilian and Neville, a student, were living at 'White Friars', Ilsham Marine Drive, Torquay, Devon and Frank's former wife was living in a hotel in Exeter. Neville spent his early years in Italy and Switzerland and was educated at The Pilgrims' School, Harrow and at Cambridge. During the Second World War, Neville was a Flying Officer in the R.A.F.V.R. serving in the Middle East, Italy and Austria. He married at Marylebone, London in 1947, Nony Winifred Ollerenshaw née Marks. After a post-graduate year at Cambridge, in 1948 Neville began teaching at Lewes County Grammar School for Boys and at a Yorkshire grammar school. In 1955 he was appointed to his first headship in Somerset, only leaving after ten years to work at an Anglo-American college in Switzerland but returning to the U.K. in 1969 as headmaster of The Prebendal School, Chichester. He retired in 1982 and lived at Beccles, Suffolk where he and his wife were members and exhibitors at the Beccles Society of Artists 1977-1990. Neville Finnemore Ollerenshaw died at Beccles, Suffolk on 9 July 1997.