EDWARDS, Louisa Maria

1856 - 1951

Louisa Maria Edwards was born at Moffat, Dumfries, Scotland on 26 August 1856, daughter of Revd John George Edwards (1822-16 October 1862), later vicar of Pittington, and his wife Frederica Louisa Powles (1832-October 1905), daughter of the late Thomas Octavius Powles of Grove House, Hackney, London, who married at St John's Church, Hackney on 30 August 1854. In 1871, Frederica, was a 38-year-old widow, living at 47 Crown Street, Bury St Edmundís with three children John 15, Louisa Maria 14 and Antonetta 9, plus Frederica's 32-year-old unmarried sister Fanny Powles. Louisa exhibited at Ipswich Fine Art Club in 1885, from 47 Crown Street, Bury St Edmundís and was commended for her oil 'Norman Tower' at the Bury St Edmund's Fine Art Society exhibition held in the Town Hall, Bury St Edmund's in 1886. In 1901, Frederica, with daughters Louisa and Antonetta, who were both unmarried, had moved next door to 49 Crown Street. In 1911, Louisa and her sister Antonetta were living at 26 Churchyard, Bury St Edmundís and in 1939 were both living at 2 Abbey Ruins, Bury St Edmund's. Louisa Maria Edwards died at The Abbey Ruins, Bury St Edmund's on 11 November 1951 aged 95, she was unmarried.