EDWARDS, Antonetta

1861 - 1942

Antonetta Edwards was born at Pittington, Co. Durham on 26 April 1861, daughter of Revd John George Edwards (1822-16 October 1862), vicar of Pittington, and his wife Frederica Louisa Powles (1832-October 1905), daughter of the late Thomas Octavius Powles of Grove House, Hackney, London, who married at St John's Church, Hackney on 30 August 1854. In 1871, Frederica, was a 38-year-old widow, living at 47 Crown Street, Bury St Edmundís with three children John 15, Louisa Maria 14 and Antonetta 9, plus Frederica's 32-year-old unmarried sister Fanny Powles. As Miss Edwards, Antonetta exhibited at Ipswich Fine Art Club from 47 Crown Street, Bury St Edmund's in 1883, four small table lots 'Vase' and a pair of vases, and two plaques, in 1884 'A Pillar of the Old Abbey, Bury St Edmund's', in 1885 'Cat's Head from Nature', an 1884 exhibit is only listed as Miss Edwards and may be by her sister Louisa Maria. By 1901, Antonetta, her sister Louisa and her mother had moved to 49 Crown Street and where Frederica died in 1905. In 1911, Antonetta and her sister Louisa were living at 26 Churchyard, Bury St Edmundís. In 1939, living at 2 Abbey Ruins, Bury St Edmund's still with her elder sister Louisa Maria. Antonetta Edwards died at Abbey Ruins, Bury St Edmundís on 16 December 1942, aged 81, she was unmarried.