RUTHERFORD, Rosemary

1912 - 1972

Rosemary Ellen Rutherford, was born at The Parsonage, Bartley Green Lane, Northfield, Kings Norton, Worcester on 1 September 1912, daughter of Revd John Finlay Rutherford (30 June 1878-5 March 1965) and his wife Florence Ellen née Edge (29 January 1872-26 November 1954), who married at Bromsgrove, Worcester in 1908. Rosemary studied at the Slade School of Fine Art and in 1939 an artist and part-time teacher at St Cedds School, Chelmsford, living at The Vicarage, Broomfield, Chelmsford with her parents. On the outbreak of the Second World War, Rosemary joined the Red Cross as a volunteer when she performed a variety of jobs, including driving a mobile canteen round gun batteries on the east coast and working as a nurse in hospitals and convalescent homes for servicemen. She was given permission by the War Artists Advisory Committee (W.A.A.C) to record her work. She studied art and painting with Cedric Morris [q.v.] at Benton End, Hadleigh, Suffolk but is principally known as a stained glass artist. Her work is in the Suffolk churches at Boxford, Walsham le Willows and in Hinderclay, where her brother, John Allarton Edge Rutherford (1910-2005), was the incumbent, she also completed stained glass windows in several Essex churches and as distant as West Heslerton All Saints, Yorkshire in 1964. She was of The Priory, Walsham le Willows, when she died at Lambeth, London on 20 June 1972.






Works by This Artist