MARCHANT, Sir Stanley Robert

1883 - 1949

Sir Stanley Marchant

Stanley Robert Marchant, was born in London on 15 May 1883, son of Frank Maisey Marchant, a cashier, and his wife Emily Louisa née Wilkins, who married at Kensington, London in 1878. In 1899, the organist of Kemsing Parish Church moving to Christ Church, Newgate Street in 1903 and then to St Peter's, Eaton Square in 1913. In 1911, a 27 year old professor of music, living at 7 Hereford Road, Acton, London with his parents, 53 year old Frank and 51 year old Emily and two siblings, 20 year old Horace and 15 year old Lilian of their six chilren. He won a Goss Scholarship to the Royal Academy of Music, where he took prizes in composition and organ playing and took his DMus at Oxford in 1914 serving as Acting Bandmaster in East Surrey Regiment, London Regiment during the World War. An English organist, teacher and composer, associated with St Paul's Cathedral, where he was second assistant from 1903 and organist from 1927, until he became principal of the Royal Academy of Music in 1936, his best-known composition is 'The Souls of the Righteous'. He conducted the reopening ceremony and the thanksgiving service for the silver jubilee of King George V, composing for each occasion a Te Deum. Elected King Edward VII Professor of Music at London University in 1937 and knighted in 1943 and elected chairman of the council of the Royal School of Church Music in 1947. In addition to anthems, canticles and other liturgical music he composed secular choral pieces, organ works and songs. He married at Croydon, Surrey in 1915, Hilda Constance Holyman (8 October 1888-3 June 1974) and in 1939, was principal of the Royal Academy of Music, living at 76 Holland Park, Kensington, London with his wife and son Robert Hugh (28 April 1916-21 April 2000), a student of music. A member of the Ipswich Art Club in 1948 and exhibited from White Cottage, Blythburgh, Suffolk two watercolours, 'The Blyth from Church Farm' and 'Evening on the Blyth'. He was of the White Cottage, Blythburgh when he died at their London home at 54 York Terrace, N.W.1, on 28 February 1949. His wife died at their Blythburgh home on 3 June 1974, aged 65.