STANNARD, Henry John Sylvester

1870 - 1951

Henry John Stannard, was born at St Pancras, London on 12 July 1870, eldest child of artist Henry Stannard (1844-1920) and grandson of John Stannard (1794-1882), both well-known Bedfordshire artists, his mother was Ruth née Willshire, who married Henry earlier in 1870. Educated at Bedford Modern School and the National Art Training School, South Kensington. Before his marriage, Stannard resided at Harpur Place, Bedford and he married at Bedford in 1894, Annie Sylvester Clark and, adding Sylvester into his name, moved to Flitwick, Bedfordshire, they had an only daughter Theresa Sylvester Stannard (1898-1947), also an artist. Henry went on to achieve a reputation for painting Bedfordshire scenes after which as well as his reputation as an artist, Stannard also became well known as a lecturer, teacher and judge at art exhibitions. In 1896 elected a member of the Royal Society of British Artists and after he received interest and patronage from the British Royal family and painting many pictures of their Sandringham estates, his international career began. Stannard continued to support local exhibitions including the Bedford Society of Artists and his father's exhibitions in Harpur Street and was also a member and exhibitor at the Norfolk & Norwich Art Circle 1906-1909 and, at the Ipswich Art Club 1913-1914, when he exhibited from Harpur Place, Bedford in 1913, four watercolours 'Bringing Home the Flock', 'A Setter finding a Grouse', 'The Cricket Field, Marlborough College Gardens' and 'The Weed Burner'. He made sketching tours to Southwold, Suffolk and at least a dozen Sylvester scenes of the Blyth Valley were produced by the Southwold local printer Frederick Jenkins and sometimes Stannard was accompanied by his artist sister Lilian Stannard (1877-1944), who also contributed at least seven works to the Jenkins 'Studio Series' and the Tuck 'Oilette' series. In 1939, he founded the Midland Sketch Club and it was at the 1950 annual exhibition of this club, held in the Bunyan Room of Bedford Public Library, that Stannard exhibited his last works. In 1939, an unemployed artist, living at 68 Spenser Road, Bedford with married Wilhelmina Josephine L. née Fordyce (born 10 May 1909), who had married John L. Stannard at Lambeth in 1933, and a son William H. L. Stannard (born 27 February 1934). He was of 66 Dunstable Road, Flitwick when he died at Bedford Hospital on 21 January 1951. His work has been exhibited and held by the Royal Society of British Artists, London; Royal Academy, London; Walker Art Gallery, Liverpool; Manchester City Art Gallery, Royal Society of Artists; Birmingham; Institute of Painters in Watercolour, London.

Works by This Artist