1900 - ?

A successor to the Bury St Edmunds Science and Art Classes, Bury St Edmund's School of Art is first noticed in a letter in the Bury & Norwich Post on 21 March 1899 'a new art school opening' and on 15 January 1900 'School of Art' is reopening at the Town Hall. In 1907 it was situated on Cornhill, Bury St Edmund's when the headmaster was Arthur Burt, ARCA, AMC., but was succeeded by James Herbert Savage. Regular exhibitions were held of student's works and of Suffolk artist's up until the start of the Second World War with an exhibition of the works of Alfred Munnings held in the Art Gallery in the School of Art Buildings in September 1939. In 1947 a committee was formed to consider re-establishing the School of Art but it had closed by 1960 when the plans for the premises as a retail store were submitted.