CARFAX GALLERY

1898 - ?

24 Bury Street

Carfax Gallery, originally known as Carfax and Co., was founded in 1898 in Ryder Street, Mayfair but by 1906 it had changed locations to nearby Bury Street. The founders of the gallery were William Rothenstein (1872-1945), artist, teacher, and energetic art social worker later Head of the Royal College of Art and John Fothergil (1876-1957). Robert Baldwin Ross (18691918) took over the management of the gallery in 1901, with the help of More Adey (1858-1942) and Arthur Clifton. Ross left the gallery in 1908, and Arthur Bellamy Clifton, (1863-1932) who was married to Madeline Knox (1890-1975) assumed control. The Carfax represented a successful attempt to exhibit and sell the work of unknown artists whose work was traditionally shunned by the Royal Academy. The Society of Painters in Tempera held their first exhibition at the Carfax in 1905 and they championed the Camden Town Group who held their first exhibition at the Carfax in 1911. During its first ten years, it showed many artists' works including contemporary British and Colonial artists, Charles Conder (1868-1909), Wilfrid Gabriel de Glehn (1870-1951), Duncan Grant (1885-1978), William Orpen (1878-1931), Augustus (1878-1961) and Gwen John (18761939), John Singer Sargent (1856-1925), Philip Wilson Steer, Alfred Stevens (1823-1906) and Ethelbert White (1891-1972) who held his first solo show at the Carfax in 1921. It is believed that the gallery was still functioning well into the late 1920s its exact closure date is yet to be ascertained.