JOHNSON, Esther Borough

1866 - 1958

Esther Borough Johnson

As Esther Harriet George, she was born at Sutton Maddock, Shifnal, Shropshire on 2 April and baptised on 4 April 1866, eldest daughter of the several children of Revd James George, curate at Edgbaston, Shropshire, and his wife Harriet née Panting, who married at Castlemortonon, Worcestershire on 13 October 1856. Esther was educated privately and studied at Birmingham School of Art, Chelsea Art School and at Herkomer Art School at Bushey, Hertfordshire. In 1891, a 25 year old, living at The Vicarage, Chapel Yard, Pentney, Freebridge Lynn, Norfolk with her parents, 65 year old James, vicar of Pentney, and 67 year old Harriet, with her sibling twin sister, Lydia 25. Esther married at Quendon Parish Church, Essex on 8 January 1903, artist Ernest Borough Johnson (9 December 1856-30 July 1949) and she painted under the name of Esther Borough Johnson. In 1911, a 45 year old, living at 2 The Paragon, Petersham Road, Richmond, Surrey with her 44 year old artist husband Ernest, together with her 85 year old widowed father Revd James Johnson and they retained two indoor servants. A member and exhibitor at the Society of Graphic Art and the Pastel Society, she exhibited at the Ipswich Art Society in 1933, from 22 Westbourne Park Road, Bayswater, London, an oil 'The Three Friends' which was priced at 150. She also exhibited at the Royal Academy and with the Royal Institute of Painters in Watercolours, the Royal Institute of Oil Painters and the Women's International Art Club. In 1939, Esther and her husband were living at Thatched Cottage, Bay Road, Easthampstead, Berkshire. As Esther Harriet Borough Johnson, she died at Briarwood Nursing Home, The Avenue, Worcester Park, Surrey on 28 October 1958, aged 92. She was the author of 'The Technique of Flower Painting in Oil, Water-Colour' (1931) and 'The Technique of Pencil Drawing' (1947).




Works by This Artist