1895 - ?

Newlyn Gallery

Newlyn Art Gallery, originally the Passmore Edwards Gallery, opened in 1895 with the support of the Le Grice family, who gifted the land, and the philanthropist John Passmore Edwards (1823–1911), M.P., and newspaper owner. After presenting contemporary art there for more than 110 years, in 2007 they redeveloped the existing Newlyn site at New Road, Newlyn and acquired Penzance’s former telephone exchange at Princes Street, Penzance close to the town centre. This enabled them to expand their programme by providing new space to reflect the diversity of current artists’ practice in Cornwall. See also Penzance School of Art.