USHER GALLERY

1927 - ?

Usher Gallery

Usher Gallery opened in 1927 after James Ward Usher (1845-1921), a local watchmaker, entrepreneur and art collector bequeathed his collection to the city of Lincoln which was to form the core of the Usher Gallery. A major relocation took place in 2005 when The Collection, Lincoln as it is now termed was rehoused in a new purpose designed building designed by architects Panter Hudspith and incorporates Lincolnís existing Usher Gallery, which sits adjacent to the new building. The fine art collection contains paintings, prints, drawings, and sculpture dating from the 16th century to the present day. Artists in the collection include Lincolnshire connected Frank Bramley, William Logsdail, C.H. Shannon and William Warrener. The great watercolourist Peter De Wint who, through marriage, became strongly associated with the city is represented by the most important body of his works in the country. Other artists of national importance include Joseph William Mallord Turner, Benjamin West, George Stubbs, Vanessa Bell, George Clausen, Ivon Hitchens, Alfred Munnings, L S Lowry, John Piper, Anne Redpath and Leon Underwood.
Website: https://www.visitlincoln.com/things-to-do/the-usher-gallery