CARLISLE COLLEGE OF ART

? - ?

Founded as the Society for the Encouragement of Fine Arts in 1822 which led to the establishment of a new Academy of Arts in 1823. In 1854 the Academy of Arts became the Carlisle School of Art and in 1950 was renamed as the Carlisle College of Art. In 1997 it became Cumbria Institute of Arts and on 1 August 2007, the Institute merged with St Martin's College, founded in Lancaster, to form the University of Cumbria and Cumbria Institute became the University's Faculty of Arts. Cumbria Institute of the Arts, St. Martinís College, Newton Rigg, Penrith, and the Cumbria Business School in Carlisle form the University of Cumbria.